Is This Ad Racist?

The verdict is in, and it seems that the ad agency which created this ad for Intel has been let go. Reason? It's a racist ad. Why is it racist? Apparently it suggests black men bowing to their white overlord.
Hmmmmmm.
I'm not sure I get it. The ad agency is following all the correct tools in its politically correct marketing repertoire: They have strong black men represented, and a weak, nerdy white guy. It's formula, isn't it? Think of how many ads on TV that have a weak, nerdy white guy. Or radio ads that have nasally white guys saying stupid things that make white guys look like tools. Or TV shows that depict, fat, weak, stupid, beaten down, white moronic men. Why should this ad be any different?
I've heard many comments regarding this ad. They range from, "it's a racist ad because it shows black men submitting to a white guy", to, "it reinforces the notion that black men have a lesser value in society than white men" (???)
If you agree that this ad portrays black people in a negative light, and that the creators of this ad, and Intel, are racist, I'm sorry, there is no hope for you. If anything, the creators and Intel are completely NOT racist. Do you think they would purposely release (now pulled) a racist ad knowing the highly charged, racial powder keg that is the US? Not on your life.
Labels: Advertisements
Submit this post to ... StumbleUpon | Digg | del.icio.us
<< Home