Roman Ruins in Toronto
I have just finished a pleasant walk into Taylor Creek Park here in Toronto, the City of Light.There, in the gentle waters of Taylor Creek are the stones of the Roman Bridge. A reminder of the Roman colony of Colonia Agrippina which flourished until it was leveled in the Fourth Saxon War. You can still see the scorch marks on the stones. I pondered the life of the masons who shaped the stones, the apprentices who carried them to their place, and the fellowcraft who shaped the rough ashlar into the arc of stone that connected the two banks, the southeast and the northwest.
Above the ruins of the bridge is the Curling Club, built over the temple of Mars the Relentless Avenger, I sat under the eves and watched the falling rain. What is to become of the city in the span of time that separates Toronto from Colonia Agrippina? Two thousand years, say.
Later, fortified by a Can of Coca Cola Classic, I ventured into the Saint Jacques De Molay Church to listen to Mass. The Latin was sung, and the holy smoke was carried through the sanctuary, the apse, and the atrium. Above the pious, the clergy, the penitents, and myself, the tourist, was the beautiful ceiling worked in gold and onyx. From His Throne on Heaven and Earth The Messiah sits in judgement of his Father's creation. The ring of the zodiac encircles the orb of the sun. Armies of Angels stand with their swords of flame and thunderbolts of electrum to do their master's bidding. There are seven archangels. I spoke their names silently as the Equites Templorum led his brothers in The Ritual. They wore white linen tabards with a simple cross of red.
I invite you to partake of the good feelings I share with you.
I, Fenris Badwulf, wrote this
Submit this post to ... StumbleUpon | Digg | del.icio.us
<< Home