Smoking Pot Does Make You Smarter
From The Halls Of Macadamia
When I was younger, and bear in mind we're going back 30 something years here, I had a friend who insisted that smoking dope made you smarter.
Trouble is, he didn't have ready access to a gazillion dollars worth of lab equipment and a dedicated cadre of grad students who could make that hypothesis scientifically credible.
Well, I guess it was only a matter of time.
I also remember incredible munchies (a stupid word, dreamed up by a stoner, no doubt)... the undeniable need to pound back vast quantities of pizza, or anything even remotely resembling a foodstuff, like a herd of angry, starving locusts.
Now, truth be told, and I'm hoping my pre-adolescent son doesn't read this for at least another ten years, in my teens and twenties, I had a fairly casual relationship with recreational pharmaceuticals, and it did make me feel smarter... for a while.
Trouble is, thirty years and ten million less brain cells later, I'm not really sure if I'm really remembering it correctly at all.
Oh-oh.
Courtesy of the Halls Of Macadamia
When I was younger, and bear in mind we're going back 30 something years here, I had a friend who insisted that smoking dope made you smarter.
Trouble is, he didn't have ready access to a gazillion dollars worth of lab equipment and a dedicated cadre of grad students who could make that hypothesis scientifically credible.
Well, I guess it was only a matter of time.
What I remember about smoking dope was that it made you want to lie around on that dusty old couch in somebody's partially finished basement... listening endlessly to the same Steppenwolf 8-track tape on a stereo that was cranked up so high you could've used it to sterilise house pets.
THC, the key compound in marijuana, may also be the key to new drugs for Alzheimer's disease. That's because the marijuana compound blocks the formation of brain-clogging Alzheimer's plaques better than current Alzheimer's drugs.
The finding — in test-tube studies — comes from the lab of Kim Janda, Ph.D.
I also remember incredible munchies (a stupid word, dreamed up by a stoner, no doubt)... the undeniable need to pound back vast quantities of pizza, or anything even remotely resembling a foodstuff, like a herd of angry, starving locusts.
Now, truth be told, and I'm hoping my pre-adolescent son doesn't read this for at least another ten years, in my teens and twenties, I had a fairly casual relationship with recreational pharmaceuticals, and it did make me feel smarter... for a while.
Trouble is, thirty years and ten million less brain cells later, I'm not really sure if I'm really remembering it correctly at all.
Oh-oh.
Courtesy of the Halls Of Macadamia
Labels: For Your Health, RESEARCH
Submit this post to ... StumbleUpon | Digg | del.icio.us
<< Home