Mini-Cow--Big Producer
With food prices in Britain rising faster than the skirt of Paris Hilton in the 100m hump at the STD Olympics (??), Britainers are doing what they can to keep their food bills down, including raising miniature cows:For between £200 and £2,000, people can buy a cow that stands no taller than a large German shepherd dog, gives 16 pints of milk a day that can be drunk unpasteurised, keeps the grass “mown” and will be a family pet for years before ending up in the freezer.I'd love to have a small cow, and I'm sure my midget wife and miniature schnauzer would love it too. Eaten with baby carrots, a few corn niblets, cherry tomatoes and a helping of shrimp, I can not think of a better meal.
More than 4,100 Dexter cows were registered last year by the Dexter Cattle Society, which monitors the breed - more than double the figure in 2000.
“People are realising that if you’ve got a couple of acres, you can just stick them there,” said Sue Archer, the society’s breed secretary. “They eat grass so they are very cost-effective and they have a lovely temperament.”
The Dexter originated in the south of Ireland in the 1800s as an ideal “cottager’s cow”, producing enough milk for the house, and a calf a year.
**I understand that this was a poor post, I am slightly ashamed of it. I thought it would be funny to mention small foods in relation to the small cow, but now I see that the jokes fell flatter than Keira Knightly chest. I will leave you with that.
Submit this post to ... StumbleUpon | Digg | del.icio.us
<< Home