Janet Saves The World--But Not My Money
Concerned about the 380 billion plastic bags American's use every year, Janet Martin is on a mission to get people away from the plastic and into canvass bags:For the last year, Martin has been buying canvas reusable shopping bags, hosting parties in which she gives them away. "I give these bags out with one condition. That you go to the Web site Onebagatatime.com and read about how important it is that you use these bags," Martin said.Good for Janet, she sounds like a swell doll. However, Janet has been doing so well in her attempt to change Americans attitude, that buried in the last paragraph of the article comes the fruit of her mission:
Her efforts have led to legislation that would put a tax on plastic bags. The money would go to environmental cleanup recycling and public awareness.Thanks, bitch.
When it comes down to environmentalism, I always ask myself this: Am I doing my part to help save this sorry-ass world? Then I start daydreaming...I have a blue box and a green box that I fill every week. I have a composter that I diligently sort my crap into every day. I pay a $10 environmental tax for every tire I put on my car. I pay $60 for an emission test every two years. Canada subscribes to Kyoto, so I'm sure my tax $$$'s are wrapped up in that. I eat one less meat meal every week now. I bought an energy efficient fridge, microwave, dishwasher and washer/dryer. I am now mandated by our Provincial gov't to use energy efficient lightbulbs--with a big cost. The constant temperature of my house is 67 degrees. I always turn my lights off in my home. That's just for starters.
And now the gov't wants to tax plastic bags and give the money to *environmental cleanup recycling and public awareness*? How about *blow me*.
When is this environmental madness going to end? Enough of the constant fear factor and just let me live life. I know how to treat momma earth, I don't need an ad campaign to tell me to use less plastic bags.
It's all about common sense, and I truly believe the gov't has none.
Submit this post to ... StumbleUpon | Digg | del.icio.us
<< Home