Propagandization in Mitchieville's schools?
I received this email from a Mitchieville resident. I was going to keep silent on this whole matter. Then it occurred to me that I have not yet savoured the taste of borshch-as-imagined-by-Lisa, despite my repeated expressions of salivation and ravenousness. So, here it is.
"Mike,
I've tried to ignore the election campaign, since the whole thing has become so partisan that it just turns me off. But I can't keep silent any more. We need to have the courage to start asking the hard questions.
"Some background. I send my child to a private academy in Mitchieville, the Steve Ignorant Conservatory of Music. I was really impressed by Lisa's maneuvering over the past few years in luring several high-quality specialty private schools to Mitchieville, and securing funding for them with public money. I believe Fenris is making an honest mistake in his implementation of the curriculum, in his typically overgenerous and overenergetic way. Fenris Badwulf is an innovator who has served his community tirelessly, but I just don't want my child learning about Set until graduate school, like I did, and as has been the unspoken convention for generations. So as a member of the privileged elite, I welcomed Lisa's privatisation initiative.
"I was paying for and expecting to get a proper education for my child, but last week I was helping him with his composition homework and was shocked to see the blatantly partisan requirements of the assignment. 'Musically illustrate the difference between a wonderful candidate in an election and her corrupt opponents. You may use any examples discussed in class, such as Lisa, the Mayor, and Fenris Badwulf.'
"Before I stopped him, here is what he was working on:"I should have been more suspicious when I found out that the school's so-called 'Cafeteria Anemia' only caters to vegetarians. What is going on? Grade 4 is a time to learn basics like arithmetic, tolerance, grammar, peace studies, and the circle of fifths. -- not about how Lisa is so great, the Mayor is a communist, and Fenris is "too evil". The principal does not or pretends not to speak English and ignores my complaints. I'm really questioning how this could happen and whether Lisa is exerting some kind of influence over these new schools. I thought Fenris' values-neutral approach had its problems, but this is even worse! Once again privatization shows itself to be a right wing trick.
PLAY QUIETLY
"I don't know who I will be voting for, but I do know my child will be returning to Fenris' schools as of next week."
Submit this post to ... StumbleUpon | Digg | del.icio.us
<< Home